Thursday, May 7, 2009

Night Night, Dick-a-Dye!

That was a favorite bedtime saying of mine when I was little. Not sure where it came from, but it came back to me one night this week as I was rocking Amy Grace to sleep. Bedtime has become my favorite time of day to spend with her. Ever since she started settling into her own sleeping rhythm, I have taken her through a nightly routine: short bath, lavendar lotion rub-down, pjs, bottle, and then nursing and rocking to sleep. She has SO much fun in the bath tub, and I never tire of watching that excited little girl who kicks like crazy in the bathtub be lulled into sweet dreams just a few minutes later. It is such a precious thing to watch her drift off to sleep curled against my stomach, and it feels wonderful to know that I can provide a sense of security and comfort to her in those last few minutes of her day.

Our routine has also helped her sleep more soundly, I believe. She has been waking up to eat a lot more lately, but I think she may be teething and/or having a growth spurt and needs the extra calories. However, she still sleeps from about 7:30 to 1 or 2 am most nights before she needs to eat. What has been funny is that she does NOT mess around about her bedtime. I usually start her routine around 7 unless she seems tired earlier, but a couple of nights we have been out to dinner with friends around that time. Once the clock starts approaching 7:45 or 8, she has a serious meltdown, as if to say "ok guys, I have had ENOUGH and I am READY FOR BED!!" These meltdowns are the only time since she was a newborn that Amy Grace has truly cried, so you know she means business!

No comments: