Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The First Week Back



Overall, the transition to work and daycare went well. I actually had butterflies on the first day back! It felt like the first day of school for both of us. After three months at home, it was just a bit of sensory overload and a challenge to adjust to a new routine. I was nervous about how the first morning would go, but of course everything went fine. I dropped her off at daycare, and I think I was just in too much shock from the whole day for it to really hit me. I walked around the rest of the day in a daze. Each day after that, though, it got better, and now I feel like I've been back at work all along.

Many moms describe feeling guilty when they go back to work, either guilty about leaving the baby with someone else or guilty about WANTING to go back to work. While I wouldn't say I was itching to go back to work, I knew it was what needed to happen so I made the best of it. So I felt very little guilt, but I did miss Amy Grace a lot :) It was like having baby withdrawal! I've been going over to nurse her at lunch, though, which has been a great thing for the both of us.

As the days have gone on, it's gotten SO much easier. I never really got cabin fever at home, but it's nice to be back in the swing of things again too. Plus, I'm only working 30 hours a week and have Wednesday and Friday afternoons off, which has been GREAT. Since we are paying for that daycare time anyway, Amy Grace stays there on those afternoons while I clean, go grocery shopping, or do whatever else I need to around the house so that we can all enjoy nights and weekends more. Yay for that!

1 comment:

full chroma said...

So glad to read that everything is going well. Hopefully I will see you guys this weekend!