Wednesday, March 25, 2009

It Won't Be Like This For Long...

During my adolescent musical days when I listened to all country, all the time, I stayed far away from the popular music everyone else was listening to. Amanda Hagood tried to convince me of the merits of artists like Hootie & the Blowfish and Stone Temple Pilots, but I would have none of it. While I never did come around on STP, I became quite fond of old Hootie and still enjoy listening to "Hannah Jane" and "Let Her Cry" when I'm in a nostalgic '90s mood.

Well, since I moved a little towards Hootie, otherwise known as Darius Rucker, he moved a little towards me. Rucker released his first country single, "Don't Think I Don't Think About It" in 2008. Recently, however, his hit "It Won't Be Like This for Long" has topped the charts and almost moved me to tears several times. It begins:

It won't be like this for long
One day soon we'll look back laughing
At the week we brought her home
This phase is gonna fly by
So baby just hold on
It won't be like this for long

It's been feeling a lot more like the newborn stage right now, since we're just bottle-feeding breastmilk and formula to Amy Grace to get her weight up, which means I'm up several times a night to pump and feed when before we just nursed in bed...meaning a lot more sleep deprivation!! But this song always come to my head to remind me that it truly won't be like this for long, and how important it is to treasure every minute.

Ok seriously, I'm about to cry again :)

No comments: