Thursday, March 5, 2009

Jon & Kate Plus 8

Ok, time for a little vent. I left TLC on yesterday afternoon while I was home cleaning for a little background noise. During that time and into the evening, several episodes of "Jon & Kate Plus 8" came on. I'd seen it a couple of times before, though I don't quite understand the obsession with watching people run after 8 kids. Guess it's something akin to staring at car wrecks on the interstate. Not that having a large family is tragic...but you know. It's so voyeuristic.

Anyway, I am just wondering: Am I the only one who can't stand this show? Jon and Kate - Kate in particular - annoy the heck out of me. Seems like she is constantly bossing him around or degrading him and he either just takes it, or his bitterness comes out later in some sort of snide comment. I want to say, "DUDE! Stand up for yourself!" I would say that I don't understand why this show is so popular, but considering the number of women out there who feel entitled to belittle their husbands...I'd be kidding myself.

If I were going to regularly follow large broods of kids, I think I'd watch "18 Kids and Counting" instead. I saw part of an episode the other day, and it's a neat story about a couple that decided to quit taking birth control (after miscarrying due to getting pregnant on the Pill) and let God determine the size of their family. 18 kids later (with the oldest one now married), they are on tv and are a great witness to the power of God and the joy of letting Him decide how many children they'll be blessed with. I doubt Brent and I will end up with anywhere CLOSE to 18 children (and he probably just had a heart attack reading this :)), but it's refreshing to see a show featuring a family that strives to live outside the dictates of society, and inside the principles of God's Word.

3 comments:

Katen said...

Haha nope. I'm right there with you. That show stresses me out!! I can't imagine being as much of a control freak as Kate is and having 8 children, I think I'd go nuts!! There comes a point where you just have to get over the fear of dirt, etc. :)

Regarding the Duggars, did you see their wedding show? I was a little suspicious... somehow it seemed like it was going to be kind of creepy (the no-kissing thing and all), but it actually was a really good show. The dad gives good advice, and they seem like nice people. :)

Four of a Kind said...

I agree that they seem like very nice people, and I completely respect how self-sufficient they are, instead of relying upon American tax dollars.

For me, the creepy factor won out in the wedding episode, unfortunately. They're both virgins -- WE GET IT!

:)

Katen said...

Haha I agree Kristen-- it definitely got wierd that everyone kept giggling about how it was a "day of big firsts" for the groom. Gross. I think I would have died if anyone had ever implied that about me, much less my entire family, and on national television! Eww! :)