Thursday, May 8, 2008

Parking Spaces and Bella Bands

While obviously the "Expectant Mother" parking at Bruno's is probably more intended for those women waddling a little more than me at this point in time, I actually did park in it when I got groceries the other day. And only felt a little guilty. At first. I figured hey - I can't drink alcohol or caffeine or eat imported soft cheeses or cold deli meat - by golly, I'm parking in the expectant mother's spot. You're only pregnant for 9 months at a time anyway (though I'm sure that 9 months will seem like an eternity come September and October!). Kind of funny though - my grandmother used to lend us her handicapped tag when we'd go visit her and have to go somewhere in town, and even when she was with us I felt guilty about using it, since I couldn't certainly walk fine. Guess I've grown in not feeling guilty about EVERYTHING, which is a good thing. God doesn't intend us to live in guilt, and certainly not about well-deserved parking spaces!

On another note - come week 13ish or so, I suddenly couldn't wear my "skinny jeans" anymore, and the rest of my clothes were getting noticeably tighter. Oddly enough, I'd also lost a pound since getting pregnant. I don't quite get it, but they say weird things happen to your body when you're expecting, so ok. In any case, I'd read that a lot of pregnant women think Bella Bands are the greatest thing since sliced bread. It's true! All they are are a thick ring of stretchy fabric (somewhat resembling a tube top) that you wear over pre-pregnancy unbuttoned/unzipped jeans to hold them up. Genius! I'm still not sure how exactly it works, but it does. So comfortable, and my jeans still fit great everywhere else. I'd bought a couple of pairs of pants two sizes two big, and they're still falling off of me and look ridiculous, so this was the perfect solution. I got mine from Pickles & Ice Cream on my first foray into a maternity store. I did feel slightly judged for being in there when I didn't look pregnant, but oh well. I won't be buying any of their way-overpriced maternity boutique wares anyway!

1 comment:

Rebekah said...

no guilt, my love!
you are having a BABY--you're housing another being inside your body!
you get all the parking spaces and bella bands your little heart desires!

I'm so glad the pregnancy is going well! I've been thinking about you and Brent and Baby Shep often! I can't wait to meet her/him!

<3,

Bek