Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Honey, It's Time...

No, not time to go to the hospital - not yet! Time to undergo that all-important maternity rite of passage: going shopping for maternity clothes. After staring down my dwindling collection of wearable pre-pregnancy clothes (and watching the outside thermostat go up!), I decided it was time to venture out for some comfy summer clothes that I could wear to work. So, I spent a lunch break at Motherhood Maternity in Brookwood Mall - which, despite having occupied the same location since Brookwood remodeled in like 1999, I had never noticed before.

Probably the strangest experience of maternity shopping is trying on clothing with a small, thick pillow thing strapped to your stomach. No, this is not like "the belly" that Bianca Stratford is forced to wear in 10 Things I Hate About You (thanks for the reminder, Kristen!), which is really what I expected. More just like a round pillow thing, so that you can make sure the clothes will still fit later on. All I kept thinking was "I can't believe I'll EVER be that big!" but of course, I will!

Anyway, after carefully going through each piece and weighing what I could wear at work and what would be versatile, I got a couple of skirts, two more gypsy-ish shirts (which I love anyway), and a few basic colored tees that I can wear with pretty much anything. Anyone who knows me well knows I can't live without my denim skirts, so I was glad to find a maternity version that I'm sure I'll wear ALL the time!

Also went through my closet and drawers this weekend to a) make more storage room in the other bedrooms and b) get rid of clothes that should have been gotten rid of a long time ago. It was really sort of shocking what was in there - some things dated from like freshman year of college, possibly earlier. If I was still wearing it (rare), I did keep it, but otherwise it's going to GoodWill. Also boxed up my regular clothes that I won't be wearing until post-baby. Good times :)

2 comments:

Kristen said...

How is the Puritan-Ho selection at Motherhood Maternity?

Emily Shepherd said...

LOL - not so good, unfortunately (and that shirt was actually one of the ones I am giving away :). I know you are shocked and appalled.) I drifted more towards hippie-chic - anything with flowy fabric and an empire waist is game, and definitely feels much cooler now that summer is upon us.