Friday, September 19, 2008

33 Weeks...



When I first got contacts in the 9th grade, the doc's assistant put them in for me. (Or is it a nurse? Dad would have to weigh in here with his expertise in the area of the UAB School of Optometry eye clinic.) This was so that you could practice taking them out first, then try putting them in yourself afterwards. The exchange that followed went something like this:

"AHHHH...!" ~ me (frantically wants to rub eye but resists)
"Uh oh...Does it feel like there's something in your eye?" ~ seemingly-concerned assistant
"YES!" ~ me
"That's because there is, dummy." ~ not-so-concerned assistant (ok, she didn't actually say dummy, but her tone did :)

That's kind of how I feel now! Sometimes my tummy just feels so FULL - almost like there's a giant air bubble at times - and I think, "It feels like there's something in there!" When I do, I can't help but laugh and remember getting those contacts so many years ago. Nublette is definitely making her presence known to the outside world more and more every day now!

We had a double dose of baby stuff this week: first, an installment of regular baby classes on Tuesday night, then a checkup on Wednesday afternoon Honestly, we didn't learn too much at the class that we hadn't already heard, though it was kind of interesting to just listen to the difference in attitudes between the nurse who is running this class (who openly said she was very pro-epidural but that she'd try to remember to cover the natural stuff) and the nurse who taught our natural class. We're picking and choosing which classes to go to out of the four, since we've already covered some topics, so we'll go again in two weeks to hear about postpartum stuff and infant care.

The appointment went well, which of course I'm thankful for. I do wonder sometimes, though, how much $$ the doctors make for that 5 min or so they spend with you. They basically listen to the heartbeat, look at your weight and blood pressure #s (well i'm guessing they do - maybe not), and measure your tummy, then say "see you in X weeks!" Lots of waiting around for basically nothing. I know there isn't much money in these things and that they probably rush to get as many patients in as possible, and of course I've been very healthy this whole time and haven't had any problems, but it does frustrate me a little. Not once have they ever asked what I'm eating, if I'm exercising, if I'm having certain symptoms, etc. Just part of the way our healthcare system works out, I guess. Anyway, we go back in two weeks now :)

Overall I still feel pretty good. I've been sleeping less (somehow find the energy to stay up till 11 pm or midnight and get up around 6:30), but don't often feel that tired during the day (even without caffeine), and I am sleeping through the night. I will say, though, that the women's bathroom at work and I have become BEST friends lately :) Also still have some general aches and pains, but nothing to compare to the excruciating, chronic back pain I had in college (Kristen can attest to what that was like!). They're more annoyances that make me move slower than anything to complain about!

Guess that's it - hoping to get the baby's room organized this weekend while Brent studies for the PE (Professional Engineer, NOT Physical Education) exam!

No comments: