Monday, July 7, 2008

"Preggo Brain"

One of Brent's fondest statistics as of late, and one of my best excuses for doing stupid things, is that supposedly a woman's brain shrinks 5% during pregnancy. It supposedly returns to regular size after the precious bundle arrives, but I hear it's only to be replaced by "mommy brain." It's a fairly common occurrence, apparently, and has been rearing its not-so-pretty head in our household lately. From just totally forgetting what was just said to attempting to put stuff in weird places (luckily I tend to catch myself shortly thereafter), it's a cause for laughs all around.

My favorite example so far happened a couple of weeks ago. It was Saturday morning and I was making breakfast for us, a lovely smorgasboard of eggs, venison sausage, and grits. A few weeks before I'd made grits for the first time (or the first time in a long time, perhaps) and very much overdid it on the amount. (They should have a disclaimer on the package to tell you that "4 servings" really means 8 servings for normal people...) So I was planning to scale back and thoroughly studied the directions to decide how much water I needed. I boiled the right amount of water for around 1.5 "real" servings, then added the same amount of grits. NOTE TO EMILY: GRITS ARE NOT LIKE RICE. IT IS NOT A 1:1 RATIO.

So as soon as I added the grits, all I ended up with was a sticky mass, instead of the watery concoction that is supposed to cook down over the next 5 minutes or so. I could not, for the life of me, figure out what I did wrong, so I kept adding water to hopefully get the right consistency - and while the grits were edible, we ended up with MORE grits than we did the first time I made them! Brent though I had just lost my mind and decided to make too many grits again, and I kept insisting, "My intentions were good! I put in the right amount of water and I don't know what happened!" It probably took me a full 15-20 minutes to realize that I had simply not scaled down the grits measurements too.

Chalk it up to preggo brain :)

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Can you come to Orlando and make breakfast for us?? It's been too long since I had venison sausage...yum!