Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Speaking of nesting...

I totally nested at my cubicle desk today :) I've learned (thanks FlyLady) that one of the best ways to tackle overwhelming-looking tasks, especially those you've put off for awhile, is just to take 15 minutes to work on it and see where you get. YOu can stop after that, and the whole point is to NOT take 3 hours making the project way more complicated than it is (perfectionism), and yet still not get anything done.

The great thing about this is that often those 15 minutes are enough to get the entire task done anyway! (For example, I know that it takes just 5 minutes to unload the dishwasher and 10 to change the bedsheets, so there are never any excuses to put it off.) So after a couple of meetings meant to nail down some production details for while I'm gone, I was feeling buried under mounds of paper and just general junk that had accumulated on my desk. While these things never get as bad as they used to anymore, it had still reached that "overload" mode. I was trying to get some edits done for our Holiday package and wanted to keep working on those, but told myself "hey, I'll take 15 minutes and get as organized as I can."

Well, it really took me 25 minutes, but before long I had a organized, sparkling clean desk once again. (Had I not attacked the, let's face it, DISGUSTING buildup on my desk and under my keyboard, it would have easily taken just 15 minutes). Papers were filed, meaningless post-it notes thrown away, and general paper clutter was tossed. Amazing what a load straightening up takes off of your mind! I capped off my busy-bee-ness by noting a list of things to do/work on AFTER maternity leave, so I wouldn't forget about them. I can only imagine what 3 months spent at home with an infant might do to my memory power when it comes to going back to work!

No comments: